Medicine for the Outdoors, 5th Edition
By Paul S. Auerbach, MD, MS, FACEP, FAWM
Since 1986, Medicine for the Outdoors has been hailed as the definitive manual on the subject – which is why we use this book as the course textbook for our Wilderness First Responder
and Wilderness EMT
Packed with easy to understand step-by-step instructions, how-to explanations, and practical approaches to outdoor and wilderness emergencies, this textbook is know as one of the best in the field for showing some of the best ways to respond to just about any medical problem when help is miles or days away. Author Paul S. Auerbach is recognized as one of the world's leading authorities on wilderness medicine.
This 5th edition features major updates to bring you the latest on emerging infectious diseases...the most current drug and dosage information...an increased emphasis on making do with the materials at hand...and much more. Logically organized, easy to reference, and simple to understand, Medicine for the Outdoors may literally save your life.
- Provides the most diverse and comprehensive coverage of medical conditions related to the outdoors.
- Offers logical and complete explanations of every topic.
- Includes numerous drawings and instructions to enhance your understanding of the descriptive material.
- Contains recommendations for injury and illness prevention.
- Features a comprehensive index that helps you locate answers quickly.
- Offers an increased emphasis on making do with the materials at hand (like using a fanny pack as a cervical collar).
- Presents the latest guidance on dangerous infections like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), avian flu, and West Nile virus.
- Offers current and accurate drug and dosage information via careful updates throughout.
- Provides new safety recommendations on avalanches, forest fires, bear attacks, and more.
- Demonstrates how to apply various bandages and splints with the aid of brand-new drawings.
Author: Paul S. Auerbach, MD, MS, FACEP, FAWM
Paperback: 535 pages
Publisher: Mosby; 5th edition (July 2009)
Product Dimensions: 8.7 x 5.6 x 1.1 inches
Weight: 1.8 pounds
Emergency medicine, camping, first aid, hiking, be prepared, emergency, emergency medical services, reference, medical, safety, survival, wilderness medicine, WEMT, WFR, Mosby